Telangana: Lockdown extended till 29th May as State registers 11 fresh cases of COVID-19


From Our Bureau

5th May 2020

Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao on Tuesday announced extension of the lockdown in Telangana State till May 29, irrespective of the nation-wide lockdown till May 17.

Briefing the media after a marathon cabinet meeting at Pragathi Bhavan here, the Chief Minister observed that “the situation in the State capital, Hyderabad, and its neighbouring districts–Rangareddy and Malkajgiri-Medchal–is very serious and there is no way we can take any chances.” 

The current lockdown in the State was to end by 7th May while the Central Government had extended it till 17th May. After an exhaustive review of the COVID-19 situation in the State, the Telangana Cabinet has decided that the lockdown in the State should be extended till 29th May. 

The Chief Minister said that six districts in Telangana have been marked as “Red” Zones and these are Hyderabad, Rangareddy, Medchal, Vikarabad, Suryapet and Warangal (Urban). The 9 districts in the Green Zone include Yadadri-Bhongir, Warangal (Rural), Wanaparthy, Bhadadri-Kothagudem, Siddipet, Mulugu, Mahbubabad, Nagarkurnool and Peddapalli.

The remaining 18 districts classified as “Orange Zones” are: Sangareddy, Mahbubnagar, Medak, Jayashanker-Bhupalpally, Kamareddy, Karimnagar, Jagtiyal, Mancherial, Narayanpet, Rajanna-Sircilla, Nalgonda, Nizamabad, Adilabad, Khammam, Jangoan, Komaram Bheem-Asifabad, Nirmal and Jogulamma-Gadwal. He said that in the next 11 days, these 18 districts would also come under green zone category. 

He said that the total number of COVID-19 positive cases in Telangana State till today was 1,096. So far, 29 deaths were reported in the State. As many as 628 patients were discharged after recovery so far and the number of active cases in hospitals was 439 as on date. Eleven fresh cases were reported while 43 patients were discharged on Tuesday. 

He said that the lockdown being implemented in the State since March 22 has helped in containing the spread of COVID-19 in Telangana. While the death rate of COVID-19 cases was 3.37 at all-India level, it was only 2.64 percent in Telangana. Similarly, the active cases accounted for 69.21 percent at the all-India level and the number was only 42.12 percent in Telangana.

The recovery rate was 27.40 percent at all-India level and it was higher at 57.30 percent in Telangana. This showed that the pandemic was in the flattening stage in the State and very soon, Telangana will have zero cases. “We are quite successful in containing the COVID-19’s spread,” he added.  

He said that Hyderabad and its adjoining districts– Rangareddy and Medchal –accounted for almost 66 percent of all the positive cases– 726 out of 1,096 cases, or 66 percent of the total cases. All other districts accounted for the remaining 34 percent of the cases. Of the total 29 deaths in the State, Hyderabad, Rangareddy and Medchal districts together accounted for 25, or almost 86 percent of the State’s death toll.

He said that situation was quite serious in Hyderabad and adjoining two districts as the GHMC area, with over one crore people, had very high population density. “We cannot compromise at any cost. 100 percent we have to be strict here since there are chances of community transmission also,” he added.

He said that out of the 35 containment zones in the State, as many as 19 were in GHMC area and the remaining 16 in the other districts. The State was ready to face any eventuality. (eom) 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *